You will work primarily with the Corporate Secretary, assisting in matters pertaining to the CEO, the Board and its Committees, and senior management. You will provide support in coordination, facilitation and recording of the activities of the Board and Board Committees and provide guidance on matters of corporate governance. In addition, you will be expected to help coordinate and support company-wide projects and efforts, all aimed at helping support our commitment to being a trusted ally to the Ontario architectural profession.
This role provides a unique opportunity to see how a small insurance company operates at both the board and strategic levels, while also gaining experience and insight into a broad spectrum of operating issues.
Assist Corporate Secretary in:
- Organizing and supporting the Board and its Committees. This work will include attending meetings, recording Minutes, and managing/coordinating any follow-up actions necessary after these meetings. You will also assist in preparing for all virtual and in-person meetings of the Board, Committees, and our AGM, including preparing/maintaining the calendar of meetings, assisting in the timely preparation of agendas, surveys (including compilation of results), maintaining the Board Portal (we use Aprio), and other preparations necessary for holding successful meetings.
- Compliance activities such as monthly filing of anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism reports and other activities as requested by the Corporate Secretary.
- Maintenance of Corporate Records, such as maintaining the official Annual Minutes book of the corporation, company and regulatory filings, etc.
- Form tracking, such as maintaining and creating form numbers created and used by different departments of the company.
- Maintaining updated records of Company policies.
Supporting / Coordinating Company-wide Efforts & Projects as a:
- Member of our Diversity, Equity, Inclusivity & Belonging Taskforce. We are committed to being and remaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company, creating a sense of belonging in our team. We created this task force in May 2020 to help increase the awareness of bias and how to manage it and overcome it. This role is expected to actively participate in the taskforce and to provide administrative support for the Chair/group (coordination, minute-taking, assisting in research and preparing activities, etc.)
- Co-Chair of the Joint Health & Safety Committee. We have a two-person Joint Health & Safety team who work with the COO and CEO to ensure both compliance with all requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, (includes drafting policies, reviewing and assessing health and safety practices and conducting monthly office inspections) and to ensure we do our best to look after the physical and mental health and safety of our staff.
This role has regular contact with the Board of Directors, members of the senior management team, and other employees. There may also be occasional interaction with our clients (all architectural practices), our shareholder, and other stakeholders.
You are an organized, energetic person with a natural curiosity and a sense of order. You operate with professionalism balanced with empathy, intelligence, and a drive to help create a great team. You enjoy learning and are good at dealing with people of various backgrounds and experience, both within your team and as stakeholders with whom you interact.
- 5 or more years work experience in an office environment with experience in corporate governance and Board/committee support;
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited university;
- Very strong communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Experience in minute-writing;
- Strong administration and organizational skills, including time management skills;
- Good analytical, critical, and strategic-thinking skills;
- Ability to positively navigate multiple and sometimes competing working relationships and priorities;
- Strong proficiency in basic office software (Office 365 or equivalent);
- Experience with Aprio (Board Portal) is an asset although not essential.
- Joint Health & Safety certification is an asset (willing to attend certification seminars)
How to Apply
Please submit your CV along with your Cover Letter by May 23, 2023.
Pro-Demnity is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.