Are you a litigation lawyer specializing in construction law or professional liability? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of the clients you serve? We are a dedicated multi-functional team of architects, lawyers and insurance professionals, laser-focused on serving the architectural community in Ontario. We would like to invite you to join our team as Legal Counsel.
As Legal Counsel with Pro-Demnity Insurance, you have carriage of a caseload of litigated professional liability claims. An advocate for the architectural profession, you will be responsible for providing policy-holders with a rigorous defence while seeking opportunities for prudent and effective cost containment.
Reporting to the Vice President, Claims & Legal and working as part of an integrated team, you will:
- Review new litigated assignments from in-house Claims Managers.
- Draft all pleadings, motions, mediation briefs and pre-trial briefs.
- Conduct research in order to provide legal opinions on coverage issues, assessment of liability, quantum of damages, and exposure.
- Financial Management, devising, recommending and executing a litigation strategy that is cost effective and ensures efficient resolution of disputed claims.
- Attend court proceedings, including motions, discoveries, conferences, and mediations.
- Negotiate & Settle claims on behalf of Pro-Demnity as authorized.
- Act as a litigation advisor to Pro-Demnity’s Claims department.
Your key daily interactions will include:
- Colleagues on the Claims & Legal team, as well as other company employees;
- Architects and architectural firms and employees;
- Internal and external experts and consultants;
- Opposing counsel.
You are a lawyer with proven litigation skills, negotiation techniques and are a results-focused professional with the empathy, intelligence, and drive to help our clients through sometimes lengthy professional liability claims. You have a high degree of personal ethics and integrity. You bring:
- 7+ years post-call litigation experience, ideally with 3-5 years of insurance defence experience.
- LLB or JD from an accredited university
- Licensed to practice law in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Exceptional analytical, critical and strategic-thinking skills;
- Very strong administrative, time management and organizational skills;
- Proactive problem-solving capacity, finding creative solutions to meet the objective;
- Shrewd negotiating capabilities;
- Effective relationship management, establishing trust, using discretion and acting professionally, to maintain effective working relationships;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, and
- Strong proficiency in basic office software (Office 365 or equivalent).
How to Apply
Please submit your CV along with your Cover Letter by June 24, 2022. Pro-Demnity is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.