Reporting to the Vice President of Claims and Legal, you will support the Claims & Legal team as they provide our clients with a vigorous defence. You will provide general administrative support, case preparation, trial preparation, and other clerical tasks as required.
- Prepare Legal Documents: Prepare correspondence and legal documents including pleadings, Notices, Affidavit of Documents, motions, records, mediation and pre-trial memoranda, Bill of Costs, and other legal documents. Ensure all appropriate documents and court filings comply are filed with the court in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure
- Support Case Preparation: Review and preparation of Notices, discovery productions and undertakings, including preparing a list of undertakings, corresponding with counsel regarding undertakings, monitor and obtain discovery responses, determine if undertakings are satisfied, and draft necessary discovery motions. Prepare case summaries and materials for discoveries, mediations, and pre-trial/settlement conferences.
- Litigation File Management: Organize and maintain litigation files from opening to closing, including tracking key events in departmental database.
- Trial Preparation: Prepare trial briefs and exhibits; organize evidence; and schedule and summon witnesses.
- Conduct Research: Research law, regulations, court opinions, and Rules. Prepare legal memoranda, verify legal citations as well as the points raised in memoranda by In-House Counsel.
- Provide Administrative Support Functions: Together with the administrative team, support documentation, filing and diary systems. Implement and improve upon administrative processes for more efficient workflow within Claims and Legal Department. Other administrative duties as required.
Your key daily interactions will include:
- Colleagues on the Claims & Legal team, as well as other company employees;
- Insureds (architectural professionals); and
- Internal and external lawyers.
You are an experienced, goal-focused professional with the empathy, intelligence, and drive to support counsel as they help our policy holders through a sometimes lengthy litigation process. You are active in your profession and likely to be a member of the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario.
- 5+ years work experience as a Law Clerk to a civil litigation practice;
- Accreditation for law clerk, or equivalent preferred;
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited university preferred;
- Exceptional analytical, critical, and strategic-thinking skills;
- Extremely strong administration and organizational skills;
- Extremely strong time management capability;
- Proactive problem-solving capacity, finding creative solutions to meet the objective;
- Ability to positively navigate multiple and sometimes competing working relationships and priorities;
- Proficient in using the Rules of Civil Procedure;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, communicating professionally with internal and external clients, as well as with various courts and opposing counsel;
- Construction law, professional liability, and/or insurance litigation experience (an asset); and
- Strong proficiency in basic office software (Office 365 or equivalent).
How to Apply
Please submit your CV along with your Cover Letter by January 31, 2022. Pro-Demnity is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.