Ontario Association of Architects
Although the purchase and maintenance of professional liability insurance is a mandatory requirement for an Ontario architectural practice, few starting a practice will have had meaningful exposure to the purpose and value of such insurance. Pro-Demnity’s VP Practice Risk Management John Hackett, B.Arch., OAA, FRAIC provides a deeper look that will include:
• What is professional liability insurance and why is it needed?
• How claims against architects can arise;
• Highlights of the program provided for Ontario architects;
• Recognizing and reporting claims;
• Common issues that show up as claims; and
• How claims get resolved.
• Time permitting, several case studies will illustrate how the insurance and settlement process works in practice.
Prior to the lesson, participants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Pro-Demnity website, and download Architects Insuring Architects: The Ontario Architects Professional Liability Insurance Program.
Learning Hours: 1.5 ConEd | 1.5 AIA CES LU